The Sony Honami is reportedly being worked upon by every department of Sony and not just Sony Mobile to create that "One" (pun intended) phone to rule them all. Consider it a statement phone to let others know what the the iconic Japanese multinational giant is really capable of.?
The new camera details are:
- Sony 1/1.6" Exmor RS stacked sensor
- All new image processing algorithm, similar to Sony's Cyber-shot digital cameras
- Completely revamped camera UI, software goodies from Cyber-shot digital cameras of 2013
- Superior Auto Scene Recognition, an improvement over the Superior Auto mode found in the Xperia Z/ZL
Sony is also working on an "Augmented Reality" app similar to Nokia's amazing City Lens.
- Xenon or Dual LED flash, to be 10 times brighter than ordinary flash on smartphones. There was also a mention of using the new Plasma flash, although we believe that won't really happen.
^The above illustration was made to give you a better feel of Sony's Honami camera sensor. While Nokia's PureView 808 still has the largest sensor, the upcoming flagship will be the biggest camera sensor on a smartphone belonging to the Android camp. It's even bigger than Samsung's Galaxy camera, with the Xperia Z/Galaxy S4 (both using the same sensor) far behind (3 times larger).
Compared to Nokia N8 camera phone
The Nokia N8 was/is a brilliant camera phone, and this will be the first time an Android smartphone will actually pack a lens larger than the N8. Sony's Honami is expected to best the N8's camera in technical specs and results as well. However, the same cannot be said in comparison to the Nokia PureView 808.
Sony HONAMI phone design
All these camera features are sure to have an impact on Honami's design, but the impact won't be as prominent as the huge bumps that the N8 and PureView 808 form at the back of the phone. Sony's Honami won't be slim, with our internal estimates at about 10 mm thickness. Those who were are expecting a phone smaller than the Xperia Z, be prepared to get disappointed. The body will feature "Glass and Metal" construction with "Carbon Fibre" to top off Sony Japan's most beautiful smartphone design ever.